Starting in May and stretching through October, the Crested Butte mountain biking is easily some of the best in the world. Our two wheeled mecca sits in the heart of the Elk Mountain Range of the Colorado Rockies and includes over 750 miles of singletrack. Crested Butte is home to a number of valleys that present the unique ability to link many different types of trails, paths, and roads.
- Need a bike? Located on Elk Ave, Big Al’s Bicycle Heaven has rentals for every ability and age level, along with trail advice and any gear you’ll need.
- Looking for assistance? Crested Butte Adaptive Sports Center will equip you with the skills you need to fully experience your adventure and help make these popular sports accessible to a broad range of ability levels.
The guide below was created to help you choose the best Crested Butte mountain bike rides based on Difficulty.
Sort the guide by clicking on the category in the grid header. All trail guides are mobile friendly, so feel free to take some screenshots or print out the directions (there is rarely cell service on the trails).
Interactive Map Below
In order to access our custom maps on MOBILE, please sign into a Google account in the Google Maps app.
Some important guidelines for mountain biking to keep in mind:
- Uphill bikers, hikers, and horseback riders ALWAYS have the right-away on any trail
- Consider riding with others in case of an emergency
- Please do not ride off of bike trails
Trail signs will be crucial for some rides that are not so straightforward. Not all trails will have them though, so familiarize yourself with maps of your designated ride beforehand, especially taking into consideration of trail junctions, looped rides, and there-and-backs.
Take a look at our maps above and then consider downloading the MTB Project app to have offline during your ride!
Important gear to gather before your ride:
- Play it safe by bringing extra tire tubes, tire tools, and a handheld pump in case of a flat
- Hydration and food, which are key for both short and long rides
What is open? Check in with the oldest mountain bike association in the world, Crested Butte Mountain Bike Association (CBMBA), which updates their website with current trail conditions daily to keep you in the know. CBMBA has continued to maintain and build new trails every year. If you’re interested in volunteering, visit their website.
Click photos to view gallery
Featured Bike Shop
This full service Crested Butte bike shop sells all levels of mountain, road, FAT, and city bikes for all ages. Voted Best Bike tune since 2007, this shop knows bikes. Whether you’re looking for trail conditions, a quick tune, or just a good bike convo Big Al’s is the one stop shop!
The Adaptive Sports Center enhances the quality of life of people with disabilities through exceptional outdoor adventure activities. They provide successful programs that are inclusive to families and friends. These programs empower participants in their daily lives and have a positive enduring effect on self-efficacy, health, independence and overall well-being.